Car accidents are a common and unfortunate part of life. While many accidents are minor, thousands of Americans lose their lives in a car accidents each year. Because wrecks are so common, it’s important to know all the different factors that can lead to an accident.
Here are the top 10 causes of car accidents:
1. Distracted Driving – For years, distracted driving has been the leading cause of car accidents. Your eyes should not leave the road when you’re driving. This means no texting, no eating, and no reading while behind the wheel.
2. Drunk Driving – This one should go without saying, but for the record, drunk driving is the most deadly cause of accidents. If you’ve had something to drink, call a cab. With services like Uber and Lyft there is no excuse for driving while intoxicated.
3. Reckless Driving – Aggressive driving and haphazardly changing lanes can lead to terrible wrecks and traffic accident cases. Traffic and driving can get frustrating, but it’s best to remain calm and patient when driving.
4. Speeding – There are legal speed limits for a reason. It may be tempting to push the limits a bit, but you won’t get to your destination any sooner if you’re in an accident.
5. Poor Weather Conditions – Rain, sleet, snow, and ice can cause very hazardous road conditions. If possible, you should avoid driving when the weather is severe. If you’re driving when bad weather strikes and your visibility is affected, you should pull over until the storm passes.
6. Running Red Lights – This may seem pretty obvious but, people still run red lights at an alarming rate. Not only is it reckless, but it’s also against the law to run a red light. It doesn’t matter if you don’t see any other cars around, red means stop, simple as that.
7. Defective Automobile or Automobile Parts – Crashes aren’t always caused by human error, sometimes the automobile manufacturer is responsible. Although this may not be avoidable it’s important to consult with an auto accident attorney, take your car in for regular maintenance and pay attention to any recalls from the manufacturer.
8. Teenage Drivers – Teenagers don’t have enough experience to know what to do in dangerous driving conditions. If you have a teen driver, make sure they take a defensive driving course. Also, remind them to never text and drive and to limit the amount of passengers they take with them in the car.
9. Drugs – Alcohol may be the most notorious substance when it comes to DUI’s, but it’s not the only culprit. Marijuana, prescription medications, and other illegal drugs can impair your judgement and lead to deadly car crashes. Never get behind the wheel if you’re under the influence of any drugs, prescribed or not.
10. Tailgating – Keeping a safe distance between yourself and the car in front of you is imperative to safe driving. If you’re too close you won’t have enough time to safely react to a quick turn or a sudden stop.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, please contact The Cochran Firm Philadelphia. Our talented team of dedicated car accident attorneys will get your the compensation you deserve.